1. Cut off every inch of damaged hair. The journey to growing long healthy hair must start with getting rid of the hair that cannot be repaired.
2. Avoid perming or bleaching your hair. The harsh chemicals will destroy your hair, making it thin and dry.
3. Do not wash your hair everyday. Doing this strips your hair of its natural oils that keep it nice and healthy. If your hair tends to get oily, use a dry shampoo instead.
4. Massage your scalp when washing your hair. This will increase blood circulation to your head and stimulate hair growth.
5. Concentrate shampoo on your roots, and conditioner on your ends. Leave the conditioner in your hair for at least 2 minutes for it to take effect.
6. Rinse your hair in cold water. This will make it shiny and will seal the cuticles in, preventing hair loss.
7. Use a clarifier once a week to remove product buildup. This will give your hair that squeaky clean feel. I like using Apple Cider Vinegar - you can read more about it here.
8. Gently ring out any excess water with a towel using a patting motion. Do not rub the towel on your hair - doing this will make it frizzy.
9. Apply a natural oil on your ends after towel-drying your hair. I like using the Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil.
10. Do a coconut oil hair mask once a week. It is incredibly effective, since your hair will be nourished and will grow much faster. Read more on the benefits of coconut oil here.
11. Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair when wet. This will prevent the snapping and breaking of hair caused by the roughness of a brush.
12. Let your hair air dry. On the occasional times you will be using a blow dryer, make sure to apply thermal protectant and to switch the setting to cool when your hair is almost completely dry to set your hair and minimize frizz.
13. Avoid hot styling tools as much as possible. If you will be using them, apply heat tamer spray to protect your hair from damage.
14. Do not use heaps of styling products. They weigh your hair down and can create an insane amount of buildup overtime. Limit yourself to 1-2 styling products between every wash.
15. Avoid hairstyles that pull too much on the hair. Invest in no-crease elastic bands (ribbon hair ties) that won't tug and break your hair.
16. Wash your hair right after swimming in chlorine or saltwater. Use a swimming cap if you are an avid swimmer to protect your hair from becoming dry.
17. Maintain a healthy diet. Eating well-balanced meals and snacks will reflect in your hair. Make sure to eat as many plant-based foods as you can. They are high in carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals. Leafy greens are your hair's best friend (and easy to add into a smoothie).
18. Drink plenty of water. It's simple: a hydrated body equals hydrated hair. Aim for 3-4 L/day.
19. Take a daily multivitamin. It can sometimes be hard to get all those vitamins and minerals, so taking a multivitamin will ensure that you get the daily recommended dose. Look for one that is vegan, preferably.
20. Exercise. Reduced stress through exercise prevents hair loss. Increased circulation, blood flow and sweat through the scalp will help speed up hair growth by releasing all those unwanted toxins.
21. Trim you hair when they split. Split ends cannot be repaired, a reasoning behind which it is best to get rid of them to maintain healthy hair.
And there you have it! Follow these steps and you will be on your way to having Rapunzel hair in no time!