October 22, 2014
Me & The Girls Organic and Vegan Skin Care | Review
Whenever I come across a beauty range that offers products made of 100% natural, plant-based ingredients, I get beyond excited and experience something similar to tunnel vision, as I have my eyes set on incorporating these new finds into my routine. Skin care is one of my biggest weaknesses, because as you might already know, I am far from having flawless skin and like to experiment with different brands to see which ones work best for me. Insert Me & The Girls Skin Care*, a vegan, cruelty-free line that includes products made with certified organic, raw and cold-pressed ingredients, the main one being Cupuacu Seed Butter from the Brazilian Amazon. Even more intriguing is that these products are made without water, which eliminates the need for harsh preservatives or chemicals. The range is also free of fillers, parabens, pesticides, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, SLSs, artificial dyes or fragrances, and phtalates, so just by knowing this information, I knew my skin was in for a treat!
I have to start off by saying how beyond impressed I am with how the entire Me & The Girls line has been working for my skin. As I've written in the past, I am big on using cold-pressed coconut oil as a moisturizer and makeup remover, and this line is just as good, if not better because it incorporates a few other butters and oils, like tamanu and cocoa, just to name a few, and their products are multi-purpose as well. The leading ingredient, Cupuacu Seed Butter, has an emollient property, meaning it helps retain moisture to keep the skin hydrated, and it also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Not only do their products feel ultra-luxurious, but they are actually good for your skin. Whether you have oily, dry, or combination skin, these products will fit your needs and provide noticeable improvements in your skin's ability to retain moisture.
The first product I tried is the Bar Beleza Multi-Use Beauty Bar* (US$42.00, for 42g or 1.5oz). The packaging and the fact that the product inside is solid kind of reminds me of a twist-up deodorant stick, apart from the fact that it is face-friendly! Unlike using coconut oil on its own, which can be a little messy to work with, this non-foaming oil cleanser absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy residue and can even be used as a primer, moisturizer, makeup remover, under-eye treatment, overnight skin conditioner... really the possibilities are endless! The label suggests using it with a face cloth or beauty pad, but I personally just rub some product onto my hands and massage it into my skin to remove impurities. The residue can then easily be washed off with a wet, warm washcloth and my skin is left looking and feeling baby-butt smooth!
I also received the Mini Beauty Luxury Trial & Travel Set* (7 Pcs, US$64.00) which I think is a really great gift set or simply a good way to get a feel for the products. The above-pictured items comes in an eco-friendly signature logo bag so you can keep them all in one place for easy travelling or at home in your skin care stash.
Included in the set are:
1. The Bar Beleza 3-in-1 Beauty Bar and Lip Combo Moisturizer which comes as a bonus and is basically a mini-version of the Multi-Use Beauty Bar. I've been using it both ways, as an eye-makeup remover and as a lip balm since it is so handy and practical, especially for the area around my eyes. Overtime, it is said to help reduce the appearance of scars and dark spots, and I have noticed a small improvement in that regard over the last few weeks since starting using it. It basically looks and feels like a buttery lip balm, and it is unscented so you don't have to worry about getting a reaction or irritated skin.
2. The Moon Beauty Serum (large size $40.00 for 28g or 1oz) is a deep penetrating oil-based product that is packed with anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids. This is perfect for use on the face when damp after cleansing and also works great on the neck and chest area. It can be used day and night, but I prefer using it at bedtime since it takes a little bit longer to absorb than the Beauty Bar.
3. The Moon Anti-Aging Night Facial Moisturizer (large size US$40.00 for 28g or 1oz) has a balmy texture as well, yet it is creamier than the Beauty Bar. It is described as having a solid, grainy texture, but I find it has more of a waxy feel to it. Definitely a consistency I've never tried before in a night cream, yet I've gotten used to it fairly quickly and absolutely love it now! I was a little hesitant that it would feel greasy like vaseline once applied, but again it sinks right into my skin within minutes without leaving that greasy feel.
4. The Lavandula Revive Foot Softening Crème (large size $US26.00 for 42g or 1.5oz) is made with sugar cane, lavender, and spearmint, and what I really like about it is that the scent really lingers. It has that buttery feel to it, and despite looking quite thick, it sinks in fairly fast. I like using it together with the foot scrub (see below) at night for optimal results, and I kid you not when I say that my feet look and feel insanely soft the next morning following application.
5. The Limonum Sugar Body Scrub (large size $US32.00 for 224g or 8oz) basically smells like lemonade perfection. Made with cupuacu butter, coconut oil and fine-grain, raw organic sugar cane to provide effortless exfoliation, this scrub really does wonders for my skin. My arms and legs are especially prone to flaking and this body scrub gets rid of my dry skin, and I've noticed those areas aren't nearly as dry as they used to be. I use it twice a week and apply it in circular motions, making sure not to get any water in the jar. Hands down the best body scrub I've ever tried.
6. The Lavandula Revive Foot Scrub (large size $28.00 for 84g or 3oz) not only smells amazing (pretty much like the Foot Crème) but it has also helped tremendously with my usually scaly heels. I have tried a couple of foot scrubs, and this one tops them all. Not only is it heavy-duty on the feet, but it also leaves me feeling relaxed thanks to its natural fragrance. The oils are left behind and absorb within a few minutes after rinsing the product off, which is unlike any other scrub I've tried.
7. A Bamboo Spoon and Plastic Spatula are also included for sanitary purposes and for a mess-free application. The spoon comes in super handy for the scrubs since you do not want to get them wet in the packaging so that they keep their gritty consistency. The provided spatula is also great to use with the moisturizers.
On top of offering earth-friendly skin care items, Me & The Girls is also very involved in the community with their "Hope Bag" Mission, an initiative by which every purchase on their website helps create bags with emergency personal care supplies and treats for young girls who have been rescued from human trafficking. Founder Sharon Hackney-Robinson believes that "every woman and every girl deserves to feel safe, valuable, and beautiful" and I think it is a truly heart-felt and commendable initiative. To learn more on how you can help, you can also reach out to HOPE@meandthegirls.com.
If you are looking for a new skin care line to try, you truly won't be disappointed by Me & The Girls, and the good news is that they now ship to Canada! Everything about this brand from their products, to their values and the cause that the company supports is something I wish all brands would take to. I cannot praise them enough, without a doubt among my top brands worth trying!
Have you ever tried a vegan, cruelty-free skin care line?
*Disclaimer: Products were provided and reviewed in accordance with my Disclosure Policy.